Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Work Woes

So I need to vent...that way my head doesnt explode on the drive home...

Sometimes I hate my job. Being the On-site supervisor for a staffing agency that provides labor to a warehouse really isn't difficult in theory...but the little things that you have to deal with can add up.

Over the last couple of weeks, we brought in about 19 people to do a rework project (inspecting chairs mostly)...Yesterday I had to tell ten of them there was no more work and today another six. Granted they knew going in that it was a short term assignment with the possibilities of getting into a different department as we ramp up for Peak season...but still it bums me out.

Technically they arent fired, they are just on the "bench" waiting for a new assignment, but no one wants to have to tell someone in today's economy that sorry--No work for you, sorry about your luck. My record to date is having to fire/lay off 13 people in one day. That was brutal.

Like I said, this situation is a little different because they aren't fired as of yet...but if something doesnt become available, they will be.

I so often feel like the bad guy...it's sad sometimes.

I've learned a lot having this position. I can still remember firing my first person labor day weekend of last year...I cried when i got home. I understand now that there are often things out of my control such as lay offs...but when it comes to folks not performing or meeting expectations and I'm coaching them and doing everything in my power to get them to where they need to be and they repetitively fall short--then yeah...you have to go.

I'm not here to be everyone's friend, though a lot of the Cost Plus's employees come to me to vent just to be heard (though they know I have no control with the way that the warehouse runs its business.) But I digress.

I've grown a lot working here...even if I am just a contractor (what my company calls its temps basically)...Contractor sounds better and suggests a great level of stability and respect, which my company does offer whenever possible. I was hired as a contractor with plans to become the On premise manager within six months, but because of the economy and Cost Plus's restructuring that left me in limbo for a while... you see where my contractors are striving to become Cost Plus employees, I'm working to become an internal employee for my company...(hence the limbo) I'm not considered a contractor by my contractors and I'm not seen as an internal employee by my company so it's weird. But it works for me right now since I'm so close to being done with school.

Nonetheless...it's time to go home. My Aunt Melissa has been with Grandma all day so it's time for me to give her a break, do some hip hop abs, watch some tv and friggin do some homework...I hope everything works out in the long run.

I have a chin hair to pluck before it drives me 'batshit crazy' I can feel it

No comments:

Blog Archive