Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Decisions Decisions

So I had a contractor that called out sick last Thursday. We operate on a points scale here at work so Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday are 1 point days were Friday through Monday are 2 point days. Everyone knows this (its nothing new).

Well the contractor that called out was added at the last minute to the list of people to help with PI (physical inventory)--not all of my people participate, just the ones that are selected work next to the "fulltimers." So anyway, I try to call this contractor on Thursday to tell him that he had to work Friday and Saturday for PI, but was unsuccessful because of his number being disconnected.

I called my boss looking for additional numbers and she couldn't find where she had written them down before, so I tried sending word through his acquaintances at work aksing them to have him call me.

Friday rolls around and no said contractor. I try phone calls again, but it's pointless since I don't have access to the correct numbers. My boss has already left for vacation as of Thursday evening so I'm not trying to bug her about it...blah blah blah.

Well Saturday rolls around and still no said contractor. Technically this would be two no call no shows which is grounds for immediate termination. He came to work Monday and after talking to him, I got the correct numbers...I coached him on the expectation, in that if I don't tell hime to NOT come to work, he's expected to be here. He shouldn't have just assumed that because it was PI that he had two days off....

However, we were both in the wrong, him for just assuming he didn't have work and me for not getting his updated numbers when he started back on Monday. Both of us could have done thing differently and I own my errors in the mix.

I've decided that rather than firing him for the two no call no shows that I'm going compromise. He will be issued points for Thursday and will even be issued points Friday--I am going to note it in the system as a miscommunication and not as a no call no show. I don't want to punish him for Saturday since I was at fault as well, but I don't want to not punish him for Friday because he can't just assume that because he didn't think or "didn't know" he had to work on Friday that it's acceptable to not show up. I will also document everything in a way that when the boss gets off of vacation if she chooses to overturn my decision the option is there and everything is documented correctly for unemployment purposes.

I texted, called, and emailed my boss yesterday apologizing for bothering her. Granted, she said she'd be available off and on--it's not her responsibility to make decisions for me. I should feel confident that she would back me up on whatever decision I make. Technically, I feel like this is a test and sure, I've put a lot of pressure on myself to not fail...but its all learning experiences right?

Anyway--I think more than anything I wanted her input because I didn't want to jump the gun on anything and I didn't want the fact that I have a rapport with this contractor to cloud my judgement. It's just one of those things.

Anyway, I have to email my decision to the lady that has access to the system and can input my notes for me. I'll call the contractor later on and let him know my decision (he was told not to come to work today because there wasn't enough work to support him)--so that bought me a little time to say the least.

It's not always a cakewalk here in the warehouse.

No comments:

Blog Archive