Saturday, September 5, 2009

Guilt

I was feeling guilty for a little while for killing the snake that had found its way into the house the other day.  That was until I saw a report on the news that said snake bites were WAY up from where they normally are for our area... Considering that there is a "swamp" in my proverbial back yard and copperheads and water mocassins are quite popular in this area...and the fact that mom just killed a snake in the flower bed the other day... Sorry PETA, but I don't feel guilty at all.  It's survival of the fittest out here in the country and while I'm not going to go hunting for innocent creatures to kill...I will do whatever is necessary to keep them out of my "personal space."

I came in the house today and grandma told me that Chino kitty had killed what she called a skinx?? Apparently it's a lizard of some sort because sure enough, I walk out on to the sunroom (where the snake was last week) to fnd Chino Kitty, chest puffed out and a look that said, "Hey mom, check out what I killed and ate half of for you...this is your half, I'm in a sharing mood."  I patted his head and told him good kitty and with a paper towel discarded the rest.

I'm going to work in the flower bed tomorrow...hopefully the reptile nation has not caught wind of my latest victim and no retalliation or coo is in the winds... I need to find gloves... there are some big damn spiders out there... which is exactly why the flower garden is overgrown this year... I can do this, I can overcome my fear just long enough to make it pretty and plant some mums (they were buy one get one free at Lowe's--I couldn't resist)...

sigh.

2 comments:

Helen McGinn said...

*LOL* Great post!
I'm ok with snakes...in saying that, we have none over here in rainy, windy Scotland. Now spiders....*shiver*.

Anonymous said...

I hated the snakes when we were living in the South. I saw one when I was on the rider mower one time and I drove away screaming at the neighbor pointing to where the snake was. The neighbor asked me why I didn't run it over with the mower?? I looked at him like he had two heads and said "that's why you're my neighbor, to kill the snakes in my yard."

Be careful out in that garden.

Blog Archive