Monday, September 7, 2009

Beer Review

 
I feel it's important to start at the beginning.  Friday night I started getting a little stir crazy.  I should have been writing a ten or a twenty page paper, both due within the week, but I wasn't in the mood.  I needed to get out of the house.  It's hard to go anywhere and actually drink because the drive is too far and I'm not trying to get a DUI or kill anyone on the way home, ya know.
Well I sent Jen a text at work and asked her to meet me at IHOP when she got off, before she picked up lil man from the sitter.  I invited my sister (I knew that with her being whoa pregnant she wouldn't be able to resist pancakes, lol.  (I'm so evil, I know)... Well I knew if I was already going out that I'd have an excuse to go to Farm Fresh and buy beer.  Farm Fresh has way more beer selection than most places around here, but it's a pain in the ass to make a trip to since I live in the country it's a damn hike to go anywhere... but I digress.  I wanted Purple Haze.  One of my favorite beers EVER. They sell it in 6 packs there, though it's always better on tap.
I get there, Mandi with me, very pregnant and due any day now, standing in the beer cooler and discover that I can BUILD MY OWN SIX PACK....um, exciting.  I couldn't resist.  I bought the Purple Haze and built my own.... YAY.  Mandi helped me pick out a couple...I was in the mood to try something new.

  
My customized six pack consisted of:
 
Saranac Adirondack Lager : I picked this one because Adirondack chairs are one of my favorite things... it, like the chairs point of origination is the Adirondack Mountains (NY)... This beer was pretty fabulous, but probably not one that I'd drink all the time.

 
Starr Hill's Northen Lights is brewed right here in Virginia (about three hours away around Charlottesville--where UVA is)... it turns out that this beer's original name was STINKY-- and they should have kept it that in order to prevent me from buying it, UGH....HORRID. I picked this one because I liked the bottle, haha.


 
 Starr Hill's Jomo Lager was actually picked by Mandi.  She thought for sure that the J was prounced H (like in spanish) and she felt that drinking "Homo" lager was appropriate since I'm a homo she told me... I played along.  This one was actually pretty decent.   But again, not one that I'd drink all the time.

 
Hoegaarden is a Belgian White Wheat beer.  Not bad, but not my favorite among the wheats... I picked it for obvious reasons...it's called Hoe Garden (with an extra a, lol)  It's website claims it to be the "drink of gods"--I wouldn't go that far, but it was eh...alright.

 
Road Dog Porter by Flying Dog was my choice because (I don't know if you can make it out in the picture I took) but it's slogan says "Good beer, No shit"...How could I leave that one sitting there on the shelf and not give it a go. It's a very dark malty beer with hints of chocolate and licorice...it was pretty damn good in my opinion.  It turns out that it's brewed in Colorado (where Jen is from) so in telling her all about it and how they faught the state of CO for the right to put "good beer no shit" on the label for FIVE YEARS....wow, I thought the Commonwealth of Virginia was uptight... Jen shared with me that she knows of many breweries near where she's from and how the next time we go to see her folks she'll take me on  a tour where I can sample all kinds of beer so long as I sign a waiver saying I won't drink and drive... um, check because I don't drive there anyway...why should I when Jen knows where everything is already, haha.  I'd drink this one again, probably before I'd drink Guiness (which I go through phases in drinking) (but not sense my sleep walking incident, that's another blog though)

 
Wild Blue Blueberry Lager was my FAVORITE OF THE EVENING!!! Jen enjoyed this one as well...I may have to venture back to Farm Fresh to buy more in the future...I need to start and finish my papers first though... lol.  This one was super fabulous and it's purple from the blueberries and real fruit juice its brewed with.  I'd recommend this one to EVERYBODY...anytime.  Mandi picked this one for me :)  Good job--now if she'll just pop this kid out already, breast feed for a while and then get back to able to drink every now and then we'll be in BIZNAZ...I'm thinking that come May for our birthdays she'll be drinking again....EXCITING.
After the time spent on writing this blog, drinking all these beers, and getting overly excited by the concept of customizing my own six pack...I have determined that I NEED A HOBBY.

 
 
 
 
 



2 comments:

Mel's Way or No Way said...

My sweetie A is a homebrewer and she has brewed a raspberry wheat and tried a couple of the beers you mentioned. I was reading your reviews to her and she was jotting down the names. Sam Adams makes a Blackberry witbeir that she considers to be pretty good for a commercial brewer.

tommy said...

Tell A to definitely give Wild Blue a try... I think that home brewing may end up being a hobby of mine one day... not right now though... Blackberry sam adams...I'll add it to my to do list...I'm not usually a big Sam Adam's fan... thanks for the info.

Blog Archive