Saturday, November 21, 2009

Santa's Stylist

It's Saturday morning and I'm working.  Okay so not working so much as just being here because I'm required to be here for four hours and be on call for the remaining four hours.  Hopefully Ill be able to get some cleaning done when I get out of here.  (It's time for grandma's part of the house biweekly cleaning to happen)...

One of the guys I was dreading firing this morning called out...so I was able to call him and fire him over the phone which was easier but still sucks because it's right before the holidays and he's a single dad... being empathetic is definitely a weakness of mine...but I can't help it.  I'm supposed to build rapport with these folks... get to know them, and make them comfortable with me so they communicate freely, and then not feel anything when it comes time to let them go... wtf?  I know that business is business, but come on...I'm not heartless.

I've got a busy week ahead of me as I'm sure most people do with Thanksgiving fast approaching.  I'll have lil man tonight and have a couple of errands to run...no biggies.  Either late tonight or early tomorrow morning I need to do Jen's hair.  She's getting bushy and needs her color redone...she wants highlights so as long as I have time to get the stuff, my plan is to foil in some highlights and then brush on her all over color and process them together...let her shampoo herself out in the shower...and bust a move to get over to my mom's house for "our" day.

Mom and I are going to take the Ferry over to Williamsburg (a part of Virginia that is on my to do list to take Jen eventually.  Colonial Williamsburg is beautiful lit up for the holidays, Jamestown is also across the ferry, Yorktown isn't too far...I mean there is stuff to do...just have to plan it)...but I digress.  I told mom that to celebrate finishing my degree what I wanted to do most was to go to Williamsburg and hit up a few thrift stores we've never been to.  My theory is that a lot of high society fuckers live in Williamsburg, so maybe they donate some really awesome stuff so I can improve my wardrobe fore hella Cheap.  We'll see.  Mom is excited to be having a day with just the two of us, since even though I go over there a few times a week, everyone is always around... (I need to plan one of these with Jen as well... just a one on one... and lil man can come too depending on what we do--though he'll be going to his dad's after christmas, so maybe that would be prime time for the two of us to do something different...who knows)...I discovered that my favorite thrift store chain (D.A.V.-disabled american veterans) has a location in williamsburg HELL YEAH...

Well anyway...I have work then Weight Watchers on Monday.  Tuesday is work then Santa's Hair.  I'm one of those people who is lucky to know Santa Claus personally.  He's a close friend of my mom and dad.  He fishes with them, and lives only fifteen minutes away.  He keeps his beard year round, does not require a fake belly when he puts on his suit...this dude IS santa.  He goes around to many functions, some paid, some for less fortunate folks and spreads christmas cheer.  His hair is salt and pepper so we need to make it white and his beard while mainly white, has a yellowish gray sporadic tinge to it... translation... I've got a serious project in front of me.  This requires a lot of bleaching, getting his hair down to the palest blonde possible and then toning it with a platinum blonde toner to cut the yellow and turn it white... it will be a lot of upkeep...I'm going to have to test everything on his head hair first because if I fuck up his beard I'm fucking with his paycheck, you follow? 

Me, Mandi, and Santa 2007 (he painted his beard that year)


Wednesday is work and then Santa's hair again if it doesn't get light enough the first night.... Thursday is Thanksgiving and I'm assuming that my sister and I are cooking that.  My mom, aunt, and uncle are peacing out to go to Kentucky to see my grandparents who are celebrating a 50th wedding anniversary... dad is in Kosovo, Grandma will probably go to my other uncles house if she does anything at all, that leaves, me, mandi, baby charley, Jen and lil man for Thanksgiving.  I have off, Jen has to work that evening... I'm thinking that I need to plan a menu with my sister and do a weight watcher friendly type meal... no need in going overboard...

Friday I'm off again and I don't have a shit ton of money to go shopping (since personal property taxes are due at the beginning of December and I still havent called the student loan folks...i need to tighten up)... I think I'll sleep in and do the bare minimum that day.  Saturday will be another work day, to make up for the holiday being missed.... eww.  Sunday another day to unwind until hittin' the groove again come the next week.

I have a recipe for a low fat low sugar pumpkin trifle that I'm going to try out...it has pumpkin obviously, but vanilla pudding, cool whip, as well and has crumbled ginger snap layers throughout...oh yeah...it's gonna be on like donkey kong.

3 comments:

Mel's Way or No Way said...

Wow, I never knew I was in the presence of a celebrity stylist. No way I will be able to afford your rates now. :) That's really cool though that you do Santa's hair/beard.

Sounds like an awesome trip to Williamsburg. I'm kind of a history nerd and have to admit it's one of the places I would like to vist. Have a fun restful weekeknd and hopefully you and Jen can get some alone time too. ;)

vixen kitten said...

K....Weird question. A beard seems like a very fragile thing to me. I mean it's course, but I was wondering how it reacts to the bleach? Is it more likely to be damaged?

I never knew anyone who knew Santa before to ask this question!

xoxo
~vk~

tommy said...

Mel--

:) Lol...I've always considered myself more of a pro bono stylist...I don't have the heart to charge "salon" prices :) Santa is getting a deal...after he pays me for the supplies, I'll only be making 25 bucks :) And seriously let me know when you and A get ready for your Colonial Williamsburg/Jamestown experience...ya'll can crash with me and grandma, haha... :) Gma makes for some great blogs :)

VK--It's not so much of the beard hair being more fragile...it's the skin on the face that's the more important issue. Beard hair is coarser and more difficult to lift with bleach...so you have to work twice as hard to get it to lighten while preventing chemical burns on the face...it's a lot of pressure. I don't wanna jack up his money maker.