Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Need for speed

So here's some background for you...I have a history of lead foot disease. No, it's not genetic and really I seem to be the only one in my family with the issue, but it's there nonetheless. Let's just say that in the State of Virginia that you are only allowed to accrue so many points before they revoke your shit (in a one and two year period...)--well I am one ticket/incident away from that happening for real.

I've already been entered into the Driver's Improvement program that the state has (which translates into hey, take the defensive driving course, get five points back on your license and slow the hell down) once...and I'm back in it again it turns out (found this out about a year go).

Part of it is my ex's fault. (okay so not directly, but it's way easier to blame her for it) Okay, I hit a parked car a while after getting my truck and rather than driving off and having karma catch up with me I reported it to my insurance and left a note on the persons car. That "at fault accident" cost me points. Then I got a ticket for following too closely ON TOP OF the "at fault accident" charge --(the scene: I had just finished working the night shift and was driving into VA Beach to an interview for a different job. My ex called me and attempted to continue a fight that had drug on for what seemed like years, but was only days that morning before she went to work. I kept trying to get off the phone and she just kept pushing the issue...I was getting more irritated by the moment because I'm the type of person where if people keep pushing issues rather than letting me cool off or wrap my head around shit then I'm gonna snap or just dump your ass so I don't have to deal with it anymore. So anyway, the car in front of me slams on its brakes and then weaves into the other lane, the car in front of him slammed on his brakes and I in one swift motion said: "I'LL CALL YOU BACK" hung up my phone and drove into the back of a guy on 64 in rush hour morning traffic. FUCK ME SIDEWAYS. So anyway I had a shit ton of damage to my truck, which I never fixed because I had tuition due at the same time the insurance check came in and well...I justified spending the money on school because a truck in my mind is supposed to look a little abused...but in reality it just pissed me off to look at it later on and made me want to punch the ex in the face even though that is not my scene. I did try and run her over later in the day though...but that's a whole other story...)

So anyway then a speeding ticket as well...moral of the story, lots of points, one more strike and I'm out.

So yesterday I was in a rental car because I just bought a new car and they were doing the work for the stuff I had added to it. Its a fabulous car, but I'll save that for another blog when I have pics or something--so anyway they give me a Freaking Chevy Aveo, which really turns out to be one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen (its like a shortbus jelly bean or something) Seriously it must have like 2 cylinders and get like 87 miles to the gallon right...well anyway I'm driving back to the dealership yesterday and going to return the rental when I pass a state trooper--I look down at the speedometer and am going 70 miles an hour in a 55 (might have been 45 by then...I dunno) so i let off the accelerator and coasted by figuring the cop would turn around and give me that one last ticket and cut my license up on the spot...well they didn't, but I went off on a tangent...

What it boils down to is that the whole time I was thinking...it isn't the fact that I'm potentially going to lose my license that sucks because, yeah I was in the wrong for speeding again--i just didn't want my last speeding ticket to be issued while i was driving A MOTHER FUCKING CHEVY AVEO... I mean seriously... had it been my Dodge Ram 1500 with the V8 and dual pipes and the throaty rumble...HELL YEAH WRITE ME A TICKET....but an AVEO... that would have seriously sucked!!! Luckily no tickets were issued.

I'm going to have to be super careful in my new car too...no point in having a new car if I have no license to operate it. Geez. What a close call.

No comments: