Thursday, January 24, 2013

Being married has me bummed

I should have known better than to have an idea of how things would be in my head prior to it happening... I figured a same sex marriage would be the same as a hetero one in the sense of ceremony, announcements, gifts, etc....

I'm finding however that this is not the case.  I'm bummed because I've only had about 3 people congratulate me.  Of those 2 were family (my mom and grandmas) okay so make that 4 total... But no one made a big deal of it or even really acknowledges it and that bothers the pure piss out of me.

This is my first and hopefully last marriage and Jen's second.  Jen had the stereotypical wedding last time so for her, it was no big deal to just elope.  For me... I have gone from not believing in marriage or ever being able to see myself with one person in the long term to well, married and committed.

My dream wedding (like if I had unlimited funds) would have been to rent out a bed and breakfast in Vermont and have mine and Jen's family stay there with us... make a weekend out of it.  I'd stand at the alter in a white flowy basic dress next to Jen in something similar (both of us in flip flops)... and our bridesmaids would have a different color dress on and stand next to us going something like red, orange, yellow, green, white, white, blue, indigo, violet and have a rainbow and it would just be fabulous...

Well in real life, it was a trip to DC in a day to get hitched and then back home.  Money is tight and stuff went wrong with our license so we had to change dates last minute (and I do mean last minute)... but it worked out... it was practical and a great marriage isn't based off of how spectacular a show you put on for the ceremony... it's just a "hey that would have been cool" kind of notion.

We sent out announcements to family and friends letting them know that we were hitched.  We've recieved no congrats cards in the mail, no phone calls wishing us luck, nothing.  My grandma is the exception because she was super excited and reminded me that even though she doesn't necessarily agree with it (or it's not for her) she believes that you can't ignore your heart... well she bought Jen and I a crap load of Omaha Steaks as a wedding present. 

Even my parents didn't make a big fuss over the whole thing.  I want to be selfish right now. I want the spotlight on me and Jen and I want to get wedding presents dammit.  What bride doesn't want presents?  At this point I'd settle for acknowledgement.

I'm not going to hold my breath... but for now I am bummed.  I'll get over it I'm sure...

No comments: