Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Bulb drama

So most of you guys know that I work in the flower bulb industry.  No it isn't my number one passion but it's what I've been doing for the last year and a half... It consumes my life for about 8 months of the year... the majority of that for 80 hours a week, puts a great amount of pressure on my relationship with Jen... I never get to see her, spend time with her or lil man... I don't have a social life... my sleep schedule lacks due to it... my personal life lacks due to it, my everything lacks due to it... then there is a four month window where I don't do shit other than work four days a week, nine hours a day and just chill pretending to work hard... preparing for the upcoming ass raping that is the three peak seasons back to back.

I'd love nothing more than to have an opportunity fall in my lap right now and walk away from this place before July when the season starts again, for many reasons, but just because for one, this isn't my calling, my passion, or anything I really enjoy and most of all because at the end of the day, I don't feel like I've accomplished anything.

The moral of the story is that yesterday there was an all staff meeting called at which point that informed all 22 of us (yeah we are a huge company, lol) that we are no longer owned by the 4 billion dollar Belgium company that we've been owned by forever.  You see we were their only US division. Their focus was fruits, vegetables, packaged foods, etc and huge bulb markets... out measly 22 million dollar operations was barely anything to register on their radar... so they decided to sell us.

So we were bought by one of our US competitors.  The good news is that its a good fit and the we have one less competitor out there.  And that this competitor has a huge presence in the US and in Canada--we haven't even made it into Canada... so for now we are operating as normal, same job functions, same pay, same day to day...hell, no one from the now parent company has even been to our company to see it... they just bought us because they knew our name, they knew what we were known for, they knew our customer base and they knew they wanted us.

I'm happy I still have a job even if it's not my dream one... but I am dreaming of brighter things on my horizon......every day...Until thing I'll keeping doing this stuff... Sweating my ass off in a hot ass warehouse being a red headed step child to the front office personnel who wouldn't dream of doing anything that requires them to get dirty, break a sweat, or lift anything that weighs more than a sheet of paper...

What they don't tell you is that if you get into anything that has to do with Operations you will be thought of as a "grunt" up until the point that you get to the point of say Director of Operations and even then you are still guilty by associations and not on the same level as your White collar colleagues... and that is the honest truth...

I've decided I want more tattoos... a sleeve that stops a little above where a watch would... that way when I'm CEO I can be in a serious meeting, roll my sleeves up and everyone will get a hint or my tats and be like, whoa... she's serious and has a bad ass side, we really don't wanna fuck with this broad...and then if they find out I'm gay on top of that... dude...IT'S GONNA BE ON LIKE DONKEY KONG, lol... Yeah, I have power issues... And... lol.

No comments: