Monday, March 18, 2013

Can this just be over with already?

Let me just say that this house buying thing is not nearly what I thought it would be.  Our close date is March 22nd--coming up VERY fast... and there is all kinds of crap to do.  I had to provide a bazillion documents, 3 years worth of taxes and W2s, bank statements, paystubs...other usual stuff, but because the loan is a VHDA I had to take a first time homebuyers course online and pass the test to get a certificate to be submitted to the folks at closing....

I've endured the ratification process, the home inspection, the back and forth on what to fix and not to fix, the termite inspection, etc... I have been lucky in the sense that the people I'm buying the house from are ready to move into their new house so they want this one gone...they've agreed to all I've asked for which is awesome and they seem like nice people anyway...

The real pain in my ass though has come in two forms.  One, I can't move money around in my bank accounts like I usually do because I have to account for all of my income... because Jen's name isn't on my account it's now temporarily a problem if I deposit money into my account from her to help with bills... I can't shift things from savings... so basically it's just my paycheck and then my now limited spending.  I had to have Jen make my student loan payment because I can't shift money and now because I don't have her "help" in my account I don't want to be bouncing stuff... my check alone can't pay for everything... So I'm glad that she offered to do it and I appreciate it a great deal--I sure would hate to be told at close that it wasn't going to happen because I defaulted on my Student loan...

Two, homeowners insurance.  For some reason I just assumed that this would be an easy process--something like car insurance where you go online, get a quote, and buy a policy...

Not so much.

I was referred by Santa (the real bearded santa in my life who allows me to keep his hair and beard snow white instead of dark brown like it naturally is...) to a guy that he uses and is friends with. That guy is nice to talk to and great to work with, his policy is on the higher side of things which means my mortgage payment will increase as well...

I got a super low quote and attached to it a denial letter--really, why bother sending me a fabulous quote if I'm being denied coverage. 

I have one quote that isn't bad and running out of time rapidly.  The concern is that it's the original roof on the house so it's 20 years old and that makes most insurance companies pump their brakes a bit.  It's kind of a crap shoot as to whether or not the insurance inspector will go for it or not... and let me have coverage or deny me...

I contacted a guy my realtor/aunt suggested and he won't have quotes for me until Monday...he's pulling information for a side by side comparison of the "bigger" companies...

TO BE CONTINUED:

I started this blog last week and never finished it... long story short--it took me a week to decide on a quote that was good.  I was referred to this lady by the lady who's handing my closing... shes super nice and helpful so I went ahead and agreed--still running the risk of failing a roof inspection, but I can't lose sleep over it at this point... I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

For now, closing is at the end of this week and I'm super excited and ancy and have no idea when or how I'm going to move all of my crap.

I'm super stoked to soon be a homeowner, but OMG can we just get to that point already.  I'd like to skip all the "official" shit and go straight to playing house, you know...

No comments: