Thursday, February 19, 2009

I wanted

I wanted to write you a love letter
but all the ink had dried up

I wanted to say just the right thing
but not even a whisper escaped my lips

I wanted to come to your rescue
but I never heard your cry for help

I wanted to make you breakfast in bed
but we were out of eggs

I wanted to buy you the perfect gift
but they were out of stock

I wanted to lay next to you under the stars
but the night was pitch black

It seemed nothing was going my way--

Through each potential disappointment
you merely stepped back and smiled

I couldn't understand how you could be so calm
while my world was muttled in chaos

Slowly it all began making sense...

While I was consumed with the not knowing
trying to be okay when I just wanted to cry

While I tried to cater to everyone around me
and make them happy

While I was distracted with homework
and worried about my job

While I was worried I'd lose you
because of all the unknowns

You were busy--

That's when I realized

The ink hadn't evaporated
You had used it to tattoo my heart

My voice wasn't lost
You had me speechless with a kiss

I couldn't come to your rescue
because you were busy saving me

You hid the eggs on purpose
So we had morning sex instead :)

There were plenty of gifts on the shelf
but none as perfect as YOU!

The star situation still baffles me
How did you get them out of the sky
and into your eyes?

I love you.

Thank you for being patient with me while I am in limbo with my job and carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders...You're the best.

No comments: